Preferred Drug List Program
The Medicaid Preferred Drug List (PDL) is a list of prescription medications within a therapeutic class selected for their efficaciousness, clinical significance, cost effectiveness, and safety for clients.
Preferred Drug List Updates
The PDL is subject to revision following quarterly recommendations by the Texas Pharmaceutical & Therapeutics (P&T) Committee to HHSC.
- All currently approved products on the Texas Medicaid Formulary are available to all Medicaid clients.
- Preferred products are available without authorization.
- Authorization for non-preferred products requires the prescribing provider or provider representative calling the Texas Prior Authorization Call Center.
- Refer to resources for clients enrolled in Medicaid Managed Care.
- Approved requests for authorization are valid for one year.
- Certain groups of clients based on age or other criteria may be exempt from PDL requirements.
- A 72-hour supply can be dispensed by a pharmacy until authorization is completed.
- The PDL is also available through Epocrates.