Certain home health supply products are a covered Texas Medicaid benefit and available from pharmacies enrolled in the Vendor Drug Program (VDP). These products are classified as a Title XIX (Medicaid) home health benefit and as durable medical equipment or medical supplies. These products are available to people enrolled in Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Services Program, and the Kidney Health Care (KHC) Program.

Pharmacies are not required to enroll as a Durable Medical Equipment (DME) provider to provide access to supplies. Pharmacies already enrolled as a Medicaid DME provider have the option to submit claims for these products either as a pharmacy benefit or as a medical benefit through the Texas Medicaid Healthcare Partnership (TMHP).

A physician must prescribe all DME and home health supplies. Advanced practice registered nurses and physician assistants are prohibited from prescribing DME and home health supplies to people enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP.

Refer to 42 C.F.R. 440.70: Home Health Services for more information.