February 9, 2018
Texas Health and Human Services covers mosquito repellents for the prevention of the Zika virus. The benefit is available beginning Feb. 12, 2018, and will run continuously year-round.
- Medicaid, both managed care and fee-for-service
- Children's Health Insurance Program and CHIP-Perinatal
- Healthy Texas Women program
- Children with Special Health Care Needs services program
- Females ages 10 - 55 years old and pregnant females of any age
- Males ages 14 and older
- Coverage of mosquito repellents will be limited to two can or bottles per calendar month: only one can or bottle may be dispensed per fill, with one optional refill available per calendar month.
- Mosquito repellent claims will not count against a person’s monthly three-prescription limit for Medicaid fee-for-service.
Covered products have been selected based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control. Refer to the Mosquito Repellent Benefit Products Assistance Chart (PDF) for a current list of covered mosquito repellents.
More information is available: