January 11, 2019
Changes to the next Texas Medicaid preferred drug list will implement Thursday, Jan. 31, 2019. The changes reflect the recommendations made at the Jul. 2018 Drug Utilization Review Board meetings. HHSC will publish the preferred drug list on the Vendor Drug Program website by Jan. 24. Also currently available on the website are:
- The PDL decisions from the July meeting
- The PDL recommendations from the October meeting
Drugs on the Texas Medicaid formulary are designated as preferred, non-preferred, or have neither designation. The preferred drug list includes only drugs identified as either preferred or non-preferred:
- Drugs not on the preferred list, or drugs identified on the list as "preferred", are available to people without PDL prior authorization.
- Drugs on the preferred list that are identified as "non-preferred" will require PDL prior authorization.
- Some preferred and non-preferred drugs may require clinical prior authorization.
- The Preferred Drug List Criteria Guide (PDF) outlines the criteria used to evaluate the non-preferred prior authorization requests.