January 27, 2020
The semi-annual update of the Medicaid preferred drug list is now available. The update is based on changes presented and recommended at the July and Oct. 2019 Texas Drug Utilization Review Board meetings.
Drugs on the Texas Medicaid formulary are designated as preferred, non-preferred, or have neither designation. The preferred drug list includes only drugs identified as either preferred or non-preferred:
- Drugs not on the PDL, or drugs identified on the list as "preferred", are available to people without prior authorization.
- Drugs on the list identified as "non-preferred" will require prior authorization.
- Some preferred and non-preferred drugs may require clinical prior authorization.
- The PDL Criteria Guide (PDF) outlines the criteria used to evaluate the non-preferred prior authorization requests,.
- The PDL is also available on the Epocrates drug information system. Epocrates does not mirror the HHSC designations differentiated by dosage form. Instead the designation is accompanied by an explanatory message.