Texas Medicaid/CHIP Vendor Drug Program
VDP Pharmacy Enrollment
Dec. 22, 2015: All new and currently-enrolled pharmacy providers that want to participate in VDP and in managed care networks are required to enroll using the VDP Pharmacy Provider Enrollment Application. Our frequently asked questions document is updated weekly. Completed application packets may be mailed to HHSC. More about the pharmacy enrollment process.
TMHP Prescriber Enrollment
Dec. 22, 2015: VDP will reject fee-for-service prescription claims that include a National Provider Identifier (NPI) of a non-enrolled prescriber. Beginning March 24, 2016, fee-for-service claims may reject if the prescriber is not re-enrolled. More about the TMHP prescriber enrollment.
What We Do
- Enrolls pharmacy providers that want to provide Medicaid and CHIP services;
- Manages the State of Texas Medicaid and CHIP formularies;
- Processes out-patient pharmacy prescription claims for Medicaid fee-for-service, the Texas Women's Health Program, the DSHS Children with Special Health Care Needs (CSHCN) Services Program, and the DSHS Kidney Health Care (KHC) program.
Watch these multi-part guides to learn about dispensing Texas Medicaid prescriptions, DME, and pharmacy prior authorization:
Chapters include Obtaining a Prior Authorization, Dispensing a 72-hour emergency supply, Confirming eligibility, and Durable medical equipment.
Chapters include Preferred Drug List, E-Prescribing (E-Rx), and 72-hour Emergency Prescription Claims.
Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substance Allowed In Texas
October 26, 2015
Over 85 percent of Texas pharmacies have the capability for Electronic Prescribing of Controlled Substances (EPCS) prescriptions. Unfortunately, less than 3 percent of Texas prescribers are using EPCS. More about HHSC's state-wide EPCS campaign.
Changes Coming to DUR Board in 2016
September 21, 2015
HHSC will consolidate the Drug Utilization Review Board and Pharmaceutical & Therapeutics Committee into one, 17-member committee comprised of both pharmacists and providers, 2 non-voting representatives from managed care organizations, and 1 one consumer advocate. The new DUR board will meet in spring 2016. More about the new advisory board.
I want to ...
- Search the formulary and drug prior authorization status
- Download the Preferred Drug List
- Learn about managed care
- Review clinical prior authorization criteria
- Submit a 72-hour emergency override
- Learn about continuing education opportunities
- Verify client eligibility
- Access my weekly payment
- Download manuals, forms, and more
- Find a pharmacy
- Find a prescriber